Friday, September 11, 2015

Top 10 Football Movies

10. The Game Plan
This movie barely makes the top 10, as I was running out of options for a tenth.  Was this or the Replacements with Keanu Reeves, so I chose this movies as I like the Rock.  It features The Rock as a star football player who finds out he has a daughter who gets dropped off at his doorstep.

9. The Program
This is a movie I haven't seen in a long time, but remember enjoying.  It features James Caan as the coach of a college football team that has Craig Sheffer and Omar Epps on the team.

8. Any Given Sunday
This another movie that I haven't seen in awhile but remember enjoying.  It features Al Pacino as the coach of the football team.  Jaime Foxx as the star player.  It was directed by Oliver Stone.

7. Friday Night Lights
This is a movies that probably should be higher, it is just been so long since I have seen it.  Billy Bob Thornton is the coach of a Texas high school football team.  Also spun off into a great tv show, that I watched every season of.


6. The Longest Yard (2005)
I know most people aren't a fan of Adam Sandler movies, but I enjoy him in most stuff.  This one he plays a former star quarterback who ends up in prison where the warden organizes a football game between the inmates and the guards whose team is lead by William Fichtner.

5. Necessary Roughness
This movie I saw as a kid at the theater.  Was great as Scott Bakula comes back to college to play football for a team that isn't very good.  As a ten year old around this time I really liked this movie because of Kathy Ireland.

4. Little Giants
Another family football movie, this one about 2 brothers coaching teams to see who can be the one team in town.  Rick Moranis and his daughter lead the Little Giants, while Ed O'Neil leads the other team, the Cowboys.

3. The Blind Side
Great movie based on a true story.  Features a great performance by Sandra Bullock as the lady who takes in Michael Oher, who becomes a football player drafted to the NFL.

2. The Last Boy Scout
I know some of you are proably thinking this isn't a football movie, but it does feature football at the beginning and the end of the movie.  It is about an ex-quarterback (Damon Wayans) who teams up with Bruce Willis to find out who killed his girlfriend.  It is one of my favorite movies, and the only reason it isn't number one is because it isn't totally about football.

1. Varisty Blues
This is my favorite movie about football.  I can watch these movie every time I find it on tv.  Jon Voight plays a coach who will do anything to win.  James Vanderbeek is the backup quarterback who is forced to play when the startin quarterback is injured and doesn't like to follow all of the coached rules.  It is an excellent movie, I would recommend this to anyone who is looking to find a movie about football to watch.



What are some movies about football you enjoy?  Would you change or add any others? 






2 comments:

  1. NIce list! I would probably trade Varsity Blues for Friday Night Lights here. I like the reality edge of FNL a little bit better. But, as far as what's missing here, I would add Remember the Titans. Also, the documentary Undefeated. Such a powerful movie. Love the inclusion of The Program here. Classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen Remember the Titans, I hear it is good, but couldn't place it anywhere since need to see it yet.

      Friday Night Lights could be higher but have only seen it once when it first came out on DVD, so it has been a long time and didn't remember a lot about it. Definately need to rewatch it soon.

      Delete